I personally think it’s time to focus more on creating a personality for our spaces and to embrace individuality. When it comes to condominiums units, we should definitely try to have our own design that not only suits our lifestyle but helps creating it. Here is a scoop of the design trends for 2010 as shown in Condo Guide magazine January- February 2010 edition.
1. Eco conscious designs will become more affordable thus more people will embrace the idea and go for sustainability when choosing finishes, furniture and even a house or a condo- as showcased by the Award Winning Design for Spring at Minto Gardens Model Suites.
2. Mix of low end and high end- people will try to bring authenticity in their home designs with accessories and one-of-a-kind items, combining used, classic and contemporary pieces.
3. A combination of elegant and high-tech will be a recurring theme that will last well beyond 2010, with luscious patterns and textures used for décor complemented by high tech systems nicely hidden behind the walls.
4. The entire palette of white & grey tones will become the neutrals and the base for our overall color schemes, but they will have hot colors sprinkled as accents like magenta, orange, yellow, turquoise, violet and their softer versions of pale pink, papaya and fuchsia, aqua, lavender. Also rich tones of greens like moss green will be part of the summer designs like white and moss green designs.
5. It will be an eclectic look when it comes to pattern trends, from vintage floral Japanese textiles to Moroccan, Indian and South American motifs, all combined with different fabrics like taffeta, coated canvas, cotton, thick linen, laces, voile, fine tulle and embroideries. I think layering different textures of similar, if not identical colors will be an interesting way to accessorize a home but also an outfit.
Design has a way of shaping people’s lives, their feelings, their emotions and their behavior. Our life is created and continuously shaped by us, by our stories about what we see, what we think, what we see and how we feel.
The global influences are seen in almost every aspect of interior design. Although most people only see the resulting design feature, global design has roots in many years of historical reference. We have a more design savvy public with a fierce appetite for renovation and decor. Technology plays definitely a big role in the design developments of the past decade and will become stronger in the next decade, and not just in architectural or interior design but in all areas of design. We’ll explore this area in more details in a future post. We have interesting times ahead....